Investors

Investor Immigration News Roundup What’s Happening And Where

An early morning view of Auckland, New Zealand.

getty

Here is what is new in investor immigration presented in the form of a news roundup.

New Zealand

Google co-founder Larry Page has gained New Zealand residency, officials confirmed Friday, raising questions about whether extremely wealthy people should be able to buy access to the South Pacific country. Immigration New Zealand confirmed that Page obtained residency under a special visa open to people with at least 10 million New Zealand dollars ($7 million U.S.) to invest. Note that what was involved was just residency and not citizenship.

London Big Ben and House of Parliament

getty The U.K.

Between 2008 and 2020, according to a recent report, thousands of millionaires have been approved for a U.K. Tier 1 investor visa. China tops the list for the most U.K. investor visas issued with 4,106. Meanwhile, Russia 2,526 was second on the list, followed by Hong Kong 692, the United States 685, Pakistan 283, Kazakhstan 278 and India 254. Saudi Arabia 223, Turkey 221 and Egypt with 206 complete the top 10 list of countries whose citizens have received the most U.K. investor visas, that give holders U.K. residency rights. They had to invest GBP 2 million or almost $ 2,750,000 U.S.

The U.S.

The U.S. EB-5 program is currently awaiting rejuvenation after the regional center part of the program, which was the most popular and accounted for some 90 percent of the foreign investors applying under it, expired on June 30th, 2021. Congressional action is needed to resurrect it and that is unlikely to happen until near year end. Meanwhile, the direct investment part of the program, being the remaining 10 percent in the past, is enjoying a revival of interest since it is being spurred along by the lower $ 500,000 U.S. investment requirement after a previous higher $ 900,000 requirement was struck down by a court decision.

If U.S. housing prices are too high for you, however, consider trying to relocate to Europe. It seems you can find good bargains in that market.

Dubai Marina from a high view showing the boats, sea, and the city scape.

getty Dubai

More than 100 doctors from Zulekha hospitals in Dubai and Sharjah have been granted UAE’s 10-year Golden Visas for their dedication and contribution to the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic. The doctors’ families were also granted 10-year residency visas, in line with the UAE government’s vision of enhancing its global competitiveness as a preferred destination for work, living and study, and as an incubator of talent and academic excellence.

Fiji

As for Fiji as a potential foreign investor’s target, it seems not all is well on that front. The Vanuatu citizenship by investment scheme has come under scrutiny as corruption is being investigated.

These are just some of the developments that represent just a snapshot of what is happening in the world of investor immigration today.

Follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn. Check out my website or some of my other work here.

The U.S. EB-5 program is currently awaiting rejuvenation after the regional center part of the program, which was the most popular and accounted for some 90 percent of the foreign investors applying under it, expired on June 30th, 2021. Congressional action is needed to resurrect it and that is unlikely to happen until near year end. Meanwhile, the direct investment part of the program, being the remaining 10 percent in the past, is enjoying a revival of interest since it is being spurred along by the lower $ 500,000 U.S. investment requirement after a previous higher $ 900,000 requirement was struck down by a court decision.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2021/08/19/investor-immigration-news-roundup-whats-happening-and-where/

Donovan Larsen

Donovan is a columnist and associate editor at the Dark News. He has written on everything from the politics to diversity issues in the workplace.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button