I just read that the largest backing for a Kickstarter project ever is for a set of four books from Brandon Sanderson.
Let that sink in – Over 32 MILLION dollars has been pledged by people who want to read the books on a fantasy world created by a Mormon with a creative, though agenda-driven, imagination. 1 Clearly, Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive does not just incidentally parallel many aspects of the Mormon theory of salvation; rather, the series is largely about these concerns. The corruption of the Vorin church and the need for restoration rather than reformation portray a uniquely Mormon conception of the world, expressed through the person of Dalinar Kholin. The gods of the planet, Honor and Cultivation, reflect the pillars of the LDS conception of salvation, covenants and agency, and the plot advances as the characters deal with these concerns. Odium, the divine antagonist of the series, acts similarly to the Mormon version of Satan, taking away responsibility and agency, while characters are redeemed when they instead take responsibility for their faults and move past them. The Stormlight Archive is intrinsically about Mormonism in the same way that The Silver Chair is about Christianity: not by parable but by creating a new mythology with the same underlying worldview. Sanderson has taken elements that are familiar to Mormons and turned them into a magic system that conveys this perspective perhaps more effectively than any missionary text. In this way, his stories fulfill CS Lewis’s perspective about the function of myths: “The value of the myth is that it takes all the things we know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by ‘the veil of familiarity’” (Lewis, On Stories 196–97). https://sfrareview.org/2021/07/18/the-most-mormon-magic-system-how-brandon-sanderson-turned-agency-into-fantasy/
I find it so incredibly telling that in this culture, that elevates supposed knowledge and rational thought so much, we have lost the very notion of truth altogether.
We should not be surprised, as history has universally shown that for cultures that embrace non-Biblical ethics, rational thought (plus Deism and Strict Monogamy) is lost very quickly. More concerning, every culture that has goes through these 3 transitions (the West has already), ceases to exist within 3 generations (less than 100 years).
While these findings are clear from the the go-to standard of historical sociological study of the worlds 86 strongest cultures 2 for more on Unwin’s findings read here: https://wildeden.com.au/news/soul-food/2022/the-death-of-the-west-why-my-grandchildren-will-never-know-the-australia-i-love/ , the Bible was first to state it in much clearer terms.
That’s right – I am going to talk about a Book that you can normally get for free, but it has cost hundreds of thousands of people their lives. In fact, while the world screams about the deaths in Ukraine, more people are dying every day around the world just because they believe the Bible!
I am not diminishing the suffering of the Ukrainian people – I think any war is terrible. I do not know if it is their actions against Crimea, if it is Nato’s calculated violent plans, the lure of Natural Gas or just the actions of a madman that have started this war. One thing I do know – based on the past actions of the media, Nato and the West – I sincerely doubt the pushed narrative is the truth.
We are living in an agenda driven, politically motivated, highly censored, irrational and deceptive system. Those of you who are logical and actually think, you can see that what is happening around the world does not make any sense. Whether it be Covid (or other diseases), forced injections, world government (or currency), natural disasters, the hypocrisy of resource-lured wars, science devoid transgender narratives, the futility of socialistic policies, the danger of die hard environmentalism, the list is nearly endless.
“The world is in a colossal mess.”
No policy change, no political party, no sincere ideal, no powerful person, no amount of money, no great reset, nothing, can reverse what is accelerating continually.
Our response? Spend more on entertainment and try to ignore our reality!
- We choose a news channel that pushes the narrative we are comfortable with.
- We pick a religion that makes us feel good about ourselves.
- We surround ourselves with ‘knowledge’, trying to believe what it is that we want.
- We immerse ourselves in incredible excess: food of every flavour, designs of intricate design, clothes and cars and gadgets that supposedly make our lives easier.
- We use substance’s or all kinds: legal, illegal and prescribed, to alter our minds so we temporarily feel better.
- We attend counsellors and therapists of all types.
- We encourage and revel in fantasy of all types
(There are many more, and I encourage you to look at your own life – what is it that stops you achieving or attaining all that you can be? It is something I will do as well – I don’t have to look very hard to find areas I need to change.)
The last point is obviously in focus at the moment. Over 100,000 backers have pledged AU$32 Million to have 4 books delivered in 2023 to distract them away from the true state of the World.
Mormonism, while it appeals to the logical questions of carnal man, does not contain a message consistant with the Bible. It is yet another man-made religion that puts the emphasis on the follower to ‘be good’ and ‘earn’ their way to a better after life. This is the expected underlying principle of most cults and religions: because it appeals to a humans’ guilt complex and self-focus.
Brandon Sanderson actively promotes the teachings of Mormonism 3 https://faq.brandonsanderson.com/knowledge-base/why-do-you-think-mormonism-is-correct/ and the book that leaves it’s followers under God’s curse. 4 Mormons add ’the Book of Mormon’ to the Bible, despite the Bible’s explicit warning to never do this! (“And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the words of prophecy written in this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone removes any of the words from this book of prophecy, God will remove that person’s share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.
20 He who is the faithful witness to all these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon!”
Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!” Revelation 22:18-20 (NLT)
There are many other issues, for example, Mormons believe in many, many ‘gods’ – in fact it teaches we are and can become one! The Bible explicitly teaches that God is One and One only. ( 12 “Listen to me, O family of Jacob,
Israel my chosen one!
I alone am God,
the First and the Last. Isaiah 48:12 (NLT)) (“You are my witnesses—is there any other God?
No! There is no other Rock—not one!” Isaiah 44:8 (NLT))
But whether written by a Mormon, a Buddhist, an Atheist or a Christian – why fill your mind with speculation when the book given by the Creator to us is available? The Bible has incredible scientific facts, amazing verified historical knowledge, fulfilled specific prophecies, intricate yet expansive theology and intimate personal encouragement – but these are all secondary to it’s purpose!
“God’s very standard.”
The well known ones are normally enough to leave us condemned:
- “You must not lie” (Liars will be thrown into the lake of fire)
- “You must not steal.” (The value of the item is irrelevant: theives are condemned)
- “You must not commit adultery.” (Lust / Pornography / premarital sex are the same to God)
- “You must not murder.” (God views hatred as the same!)
- “You must not covet your neighbor’s house. You must not covet your neighbour’s wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or car, or clothes or anything else that belongs to your neighbour.”
- “Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the LORD your God is giving you.”
- “Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the LORD your God.
These alone leave all of us without excuse. But there are a few that God gave before these that are far easier to break!
- “You must not have any other god but me.” (Not sport or people or family or entertainment or anything that diverts your attention and service)
- “You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods.
- “You must not misuse the name of the LORD your God. The LORD will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.”
- “Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the LORD your God. On that day no one in your household may do any work. For in six days the LORD made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.”
5 Adapted from Exodus 20:3-17 (NLT)
His standard is perfect – His high standard leaves us in need. Not in need of a religion or distraction, but we are in need of a Saviour!
The only Saviour of the world is Jesus Christ. His life and message are recorded accurately in only the Bible. I encourage you: get one, read it, re-read it, digest it, meditate on it, study it, live it, breathe it, share it. Turn away from your sin, and trust what Jesus did for you. He died on the cross to pay your fine. Without Him you will be sentenced to hell.
You likely have a Bible in your house, maybe within reach. Pick it up! Read it regularly. Like your life, your soul depends on it. Talk to the author, trust Him, follow Him – He knows the future and is calling you to His Kingdom.
You don’t need to be a backer, but there is a cost. You don’t need to wait, but the results are not instant. It’s not fantasy but does describe the future. The Bible is dependable.
Conclusion: Only Jesus holds the key to life and death. Follow Him. Real life, real knowledge, is available to those who seek – the answers are in the Bible.
Lord, help us to seek truth & not surround ourselves with meaningless fantasy or distractions. Help us to follow You and find our purpose in Your Kingdom. May we see ourselves in light of Your providence, power and love. Help us. Live with us. Live in us. Guide us today.