Best Collapsible Hiking Pole Of 2023: Top-rated And Buying Guide
1. Best Overall: TrailBuddy Trekking Poles – Collapsible Hiking Poles for Backpacking and Camping Gear
TrailBuddy trekking poles are lightweight, compact, and durable. They’re crafted with strong aircraft-grade 7075 aluminum and come with an extra safety strap to keep them attached to your backpack. The included straps and cork handles fit comfortably in your hand and are designed to keep the pole tips at the ready when you need them. Read Review
2. Best For The Price: TheFitLife Nordic Walking Trekking Poles – 2 Packs, Ultralight for Hiking
TheFitLife Nordic Walking Trekking Poles are the ideal choice for you if a long walk is what you’re looking for. These poles are extra-long and feature an ergonomic grip with straps that absorbs moisture from sweaty hands and is very comfortable to hold. The poles are extendable up to 53 inches, so they’ll be ready when you want them. Read Review
3. Best Stability: Trekking Poles, Hiking Sticks Collapsible Hiking Poles Walking Sticks
The ultimate hiking companion, the Trekking Poles Collapsible Hiking Poles Walking Sticks are engineered and built to last. Made with aircraft-grade aluminum-crucial for hiking or backpacking in rough terrains and supporting heavier weights. The joints have been enhanced to be extra secure with added metal caps. Cork texture grip absorbs sweat out of your hands. Read Review
4. Best Lock Feature: Foxelli Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles – Collapsible, Hiking
Foxelli trekking poles are made from 100% Carbon Fiber. They’re light, shock-absorbent, and noise-absorbent. The foam grips are extra padded and the wrist straps are adjustable for a perfect fit. They come with 4 Season accessories including a Microfiber bag for storage, a rain cover, and a carabiner to attach to your pack or belt loop. Read Review
Hiking poles can help you navigate steep trails, keep your balance when climbing inclines, and reduce the impact of each step. They also prevent you from slipping off ledges or falling backward down hills. Collapsible hiking poles are an excellent choice for lightweight outings and quick packing.
However, not all collapsible hiking pole options are created equal. Some models only collapse to a certain length, while others require assembly before use. In this article, we review the best collapsible hiking pole options on the market today.
Our experts have determined the models that would be the greatest fit for your requirements, specifically TrailBuddy Trekking Poles – Collapsible Hiking Poles for Backpacking and Camping Gear, after doing extensive study and analysis over a considerable time. Consider TheFitLife Nordic Walking Trekking Poles – 2 Packs, Ultralight for Hiking as an alternative if you’re still undecided. Other suggestions on this list are definitely worth considering, and we’ve put up a useful shopping guide to help you decide!
Our Top Picks
TOP Choice #1
- ADJUSTABLE: Set to your desired height in seconds, from the 54″ max height down to just 24.5″ when fully collapsed. They even double as hiking poles for kids!
- BUILT TO LAST: Whether you’re hiking on rugged terrain or the beaten path, you need hiking gear that can keep up! Trailbuddy trekking poles are built tough enough for the long haul.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: These hiking poles are crafted with strong aircraft-grade 7075 aluminum, tougher than carbon fiber yet weighing almost 4oz less than your average trekking poles for hiking.
TOP Choice #2
- Built to last: We use 6 series Aluminum to make the Strongest & Lightest Poles in the Outdoor Market
- Extendable: Our poles feature our Quick Lock so you can collapse or extend your poles from 26″ (65 cm) all the way to 53″ (135 cm) quickly. When not in use, these are easy to collapse, small and light enough to be stored within your backpack.
- Extra long eva foam handles with straps: Soft and Comfortable, Absorbs Moisture From Sweaty Hands and Very Comfortable to Hold
TOP Choice #3
- Sizing … We’ve Got You Covered: The length of the pole can be adjusted quickly and easily using an innovative flip lock technology. Customize the height to your liking, and ensure it is secure with our metal stopper secure locking system. The height of the poles has adjustment range of 20cm. Choose the sizes that best fit you – either 100-120cm (5’8″ or shorter) or 115-135cm (5’9″ or taller) pole pairs. Short or long – fits for men, women, teenager. Each package comes in pair with holder bag.
- Increase Your Foot Print! Trek-Z Ergonomic Trekking Poles (set of 2) give you reason to increase the steps you take. Help Prevent knee injury, support extra weight, and walk comfortably with these hiking poles. Cork-texture grip wicks away sweat from hands keeping them drier. Firmer grip in muddy areas with added mud stops. EVA foam shafts allow for a strong grip in extreme all terrain environments. Trek-Z poles are the perfect gift for outdoor hikers who enjoy light and compact gear!
- Lighter Than Your Average Umbrella: Each pole weighs only only 294g (10.4oz) for 100cm-120cm poles and 306g (10.8oz) for 115-135cm perfect as an all-day walking stick or for backpacking in the mountains or on your favorite trails. Engineered with 100% air-space grade 7075 aluminum-same material used on aircrafts and in marine environments, when strength and lighter weights are needed. These are the only poles you will ever need.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL CONDITIONS: From challenging ice mountain climbing to casual strolling around the neighborhood – our included heavy-duty accessories and tungsten carbide tips will not let you down, whatever the terrain or the season may be. Thermoplastic rubber tips & baskets strongly attach to the trekking sticks, so you can forget about losing them on snowy or muddy trails. A carrying case and a carrying clip are both included for easy, convenient storage and transportation.
- PROVIDING THE ULTIMATE COMFORT: The anti-slip natural cork grips absorb sweat and moisture and will keep your hands cool and dry during those challenging long-distance hikes. The extra-padded, fully adjustable, breathable wrist straps make sure that you don’t accidentally drop your poles, and provide you with the maximum comfort throughout the day. The extended foam sleeves, made of soft EVA foam, will aid you during switchbacks and abrupt changes in terrain.
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Thanks to the quick-lock technology, Foxelli collapsible hiking poles are incredibly easy to use and a breeze to adjust – locking them in place takes only a few seconds. The sturdy locks are designed to firmly keep the walking poles in place and prevent them from sliding down, offering you the ultimate stability. Retractable from 24” to 55”, they work for a wide range of different heights, including both short & tall MEN, WOMEN & even KIDS!
- Sizing … We’ve Got You Covered: The length of the pole can be adjusted quickly and easily using an innovative metal flip lock technology. Customize the height to your liking, and ensure it is secure with our metal stopper secure locking system. The height of the poles has adjustment range of 20cm from 110cm to 130cm that fits for men, women, teenager with height between 5’2” (159cm) to 6’5” (195cm). Each package comes in pair with holder bag.
- Compact Design that is Ready to Go When You Are: Trek-Z hiking poles collapsible design, fold down to a portable 15 inches (38 cm), thanks to its retractable tri-fold system. Fitting into backpack, luggage cases, or duffel bags for compact travel! Walking sticks for women- No more cumbersome walking sticks! Trek-Z walking poles give you the ability to build strength and muscle while you run errands. Let these unique poles go with you to all your outdoor leisure activities and adventures!
- Lighter Than Your Average Umbrella: Each pole weighs only 11.5 ounces (330g) perfect as an all-day walking stick or for backpacking in high mountains or on your favorite ski trails, or even crossing the stream. The staffs are engineered with 100% air-space grade 7075 aluminum-same material used on aircraft and in marine environments, when strength and lighter weights are needed. Whether you are for fishing, hiking, these folding poles are the only trek poles you will ever need
- MOVE FASTER & FURTHER WITH LESS EFFORT: Foxelli hiking poles are made from Ultralight Aluminum 7075 material. Weighs only 9.4 oz so it reduces arm fatigue allowing one to move quicker and go the extra mile while exerting less energy. Indestructible design will withstand the most challenging backpacking trips.
- SUPREME COMFORT: Anti-Slip natural cork grips adjust to the hand, absorb sweat, and keep hands cool and dry during long distance hikes. Air ventilated, extra padded, adjustable wrist straps provide all day comfort. The extended foam sleeve has ridges and is made of soft EVA foam to easily handle switchbacks and abrupt changes in terrain.
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL: Flip Lock Technology allows user to adjust pole’s length quickly and easily while firmly holding its position. Perfect fit for short or tall MEN, WOMEN & KIDS. Provides benefits to seniors and those carrying extra weight. Retractable from 24” to 55”, this makes Foxelli walking poles one of the most versatile and compact in its class.
- Ultra light, a great helper on any adventure: Only weights 0.44lbs(0.2kg) per pole, lightweight but great for maintaining balance in difficult terrain such as during river crossings, on tree root-strewn trails, slippery bog bridges, countryside or backpacking trails. With our rubber tips accessories significantly increase the traction on slippery surfaces like mud, snow, and loose rock. When not in use, simply put them in the carrying bag or your backpack, no barrier at all.
- Comfortable handles allow you to go further: Ergonomic anti-slip natural cork grip handle precisely accommodate your palm, absorb sweat and keep your hands comfortable throughout your hike. The adjustable wrist straps with allow trekking poles to hang from your wrists during a particularly steep scramble, and the extended EVA foam sleeves offer you one more option in switchbacks or abrupt changes in terrain.
- Satisfy your thirst for adventure: You’ll feel 100% satisfaction from the moment you received the trekking poles. They come with a carrying bag and a full set of rubber accessories for trekking, hiking, camping, nordic walking, snowshoeing, mountaineering and backpacking, etc. We are quite sure that you will be super-impressed with the durability, portability, versatility and high quality of our trekking poles.
- 【Upgraded Tri-fold Design】 – Covacure Hiking poles provids telescopic and foldable tri-fold design. You can freely adjust the lenght from 43″ to 51″ to fit your height comfortably after easy installing. What’s more, they can folding down less than 14″ to store in your backpack, luggage, or duffel bags.
- 【Ultra Lightweight & Sturdy】- Our Trekking poles made from Aircraft Grade 7075 Aluminum, which withstands pressure and impacts better than carbon fiber. A surface treatment creates a protective coating against corrosion, which provides a high level of corrosion resistance. Aluminum bends without snapping, which are best for long-distance trekking and trips where durability is the primary concern.
- 【Ergonomic Design for Protection】- Our trekking poles provide a suitable height selection and come with 3 different shapes of rubber tips, which can enhance stability on different terrain. The EVA Foam Handle is sweat-absorbent, skid resistance groove design and comfortable. The wrist straps are adjustable, they can let you relax your grip slightly and transfer some of the pressure to your arm.
- FOLDABLE AND DOUBLE LOCKING:YOVITAL Walking Sticks Collapsible Hiking have an easy to folding system. You can extend your trekking poles from 43″ all the way to 53″ quickly. Note: Please be careful not to exceed STOP line. When not in use, trekking poles can be folded to 11″ to be stored within your backpack. Trekking poles have a hand tightener and a hidden button for double locking.
- IMPORTED HIKING POLES: If you have any questions about hiking poles, please contact us. Our customer service representatives are trained and can answer any questions within 24 hours.
- 7075 ALUMINUM ALLOY:Trekking poles made from 7075 aerospace aluminum alloy, hiking pole can withstand pressure and impact better than carbon. The surface treatment creates a protective coating against corrosion, thus providing a high level of corrosion resistance. Screws are covered with plastic that will not corrode easily when it rains. Black plastic parts will not become brittle even in winter.
Cascade Mountain Tech
- LIGHTWEIGHT & VERSATILE – 10.4 oz or LESS THAN a pound – Our aluminum poles provide hikers, walkers, back packers, campers and many more the best option for a lightweight strong pole. You will feel the difference when on long hikes or daily walks
- SUPREME COMFORT – CORK GRIPS provide comfort, lower the vibration as you step, and wicks away sweat. The extended EVA grip offers relief for a quick transition on the changing terrain. Poles also include tungsten carbide tips and adjustable wrist straps
- BONUS TIP KIT – includes snow baskets, sand/ mud baskets, rubber boot tips, rubber tips, trekking pole clip and a carry bag.
Product Images, Product Titles, Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
What to Look For in a best collapsible hiking pole?
You may know that best collapsible hiking pole is a kind of product many customers are hesitant to pay for. It is not due to its quality but the fact that there are many factors you must consider. Nevertheless, all your worry is not a problem for us. Our knowledgeable staff will help you with the right decision.
Tech-evaluated and high-rated products are available in our list of eligible items. Here are some indispensable things you shouldn’t ignore:
With the correct baskets, your trekking poles will take you on three-season adventure into the wintery fourth season. Some poles have a bigger snow basket, which can be clipped or slid onto your poles. Others may be available separately. A pair of trekking poles that have snow basket capability is a great option for cross-country ski, snowshoeing and backcountry skiing.
While lightweight is great for trekking, a pole that’s strong and stable should not be. You should look for poles that are made of lighter but stronger materials such as carbon or aluminum. Carbon fiber poles, such as the Black Diamond Distance Carbon or the Black Diamond Distance Carbon FLZ are lighter and stronger than steel but they can be more costly.
Most trekking pole grips made from rubber, foam or cork are made of either foam. Cork, which is more absorbent than rubber and will allow you to keep gripping even when it’s sweaty, can be used for trekking pole grips. Rubber has the greatest grip and shock absorption. However, it can feel a little uncomfortable over longer distances. While foam handles can be comfortable and durable, they are not as long-lasting as the others. You should choose the material that you feel most comfortable with. Your personal preference can certainly impact your choice, however, a mixture of both of these materials makes a good compromise.
Types Of Poles
Are you looking for a set of hiking poles, or just one? The trekking poles come as a set and can be used together. The hiking stick, also known as a cane or walking stick, can be used alone and is often half the price of a pair.
Small, spring-like shock absorbers can be found near pole tips. They reduce impact on the ground. Higher-end poles have more internal shock absorbers, which will lead to increased price and weight. Although some people enjoy the comfort they offer, we avoid them. They can be less secure than a pole plant due to their ability absorb some of the uphill push. After a long day of hiking, they can be a bit noisy.
To hold trekking poles in their place, there are either an external or internal locking system. The “twistlock” is an internal locking system that expands the bracket within the poles to keep the sections in their place when it’s turned. The “flick lock” is an external locking system that uses a lever to press down on the shaft. This holds both sections together. Because twist locks can be more complex than flick locks and require some learning, they are not as simple to fix in the field. While flick locks tend to be more durable over time we have had good results with poles that used both of these locking methods.
Your grip should be 90 degrees when your pole tip is on the ground at your feet. You should have enough room to maneuver around if the trail isn’t flat. When ascending, slide your hand along the shaft and reach up. As you descend and probe the ground below the shaft, move your hand towards the knob or top.
Knowing how to properly use straps is the most important aspect of using them. Before you grab the grip, your hand must enter below. The loop will be created by the strap running through your palm. This will enable you to exert a great deal of pressure on the pole without having to use a heavy hand grip. Nylon webbing is often used to make straps, and this can cause chafing. While they are more comfortable than nylon webbing, chamois or fleece straps can cause sweaty hands in hot conditions.
Adjustability & Weight
The flexibility of adjustable poles is great in variable terrain. They can also be shared between users and allow for adjustment for height differences. Each pole’s weight will increase if it has adjustable levers or is longer. Adjustability and weight are ultimately determined by the user’s preference. Stashability and low weight are key features for trail runners. For thru-hikers, weight and comfort will also be important. We recommend that you adjustability be your choice if you aren’t sure.
Is It Better To Hike With One Trekking Pole Or Two?
A single hiking stick or a staff could be used, but we prefer a pair. You will have a better gait, more stability and a more ergonomically balanced gait.
You can pack a pair of poles when you don’t need them, or you only have one hand for taking photos.
How Tall Should My Trekking Pole Be?
When your arms are at 90 degrees, the trekking pole grip should be comfortably held in your hand.
A 100cm pole is the best choice for people under 5ft1. For those over 5’7″, a 110-115cm length pole is recommended. A 120 cm pole is required for hikers with heights between 5’8″ and 5’11”. For those who are taller than 6 feet, the 130cm option is recommended.
Are Trekking Poles Worth It?
Although trekking poles don’t have to be used, they are a great aid. They can help you distribute your weight, and reduce the effect on descends when carrying a large pack. These are great for stability on steep treks or river crossings.
Are There Trekking Poles Specifically Made For Right And Left Hands?
Since the grips of trekking poles can be used in either right or left handed, most brands will mark them with the appropriate hand. You should always verify the markings on the trekking stick and hold it in the right hand.
Should I Buy Folding Poles Or Telescopic Poles?
Z-poles are lighter than folding poles. These are made up of three sections that can be joined by a cord and compacted when they are not in use. These are more costly than telescopic poles, but they are preferred by many ultralight backpackers and fast packers. They are also more fragile.
You can buy telescopic poles as one unit or in two or three piece adjustable sets. Two- to three-piece sets are recommended. If you cannot adjust the length of your trekking sticks, they will be heavy and cumbersome.
Can I Use My Trekking Poles For My Tent?
Temporary hiking shelters can be used with trekking poles. Hiking sticks can double as hooks to make temporary shelters. These temporary shelters can be used as hooks for your trekking pole.
Which Material Should I Go For?
Most trekking poles made of aluminum and carbon fiber are aluminum. Aluminum is stronger. Aluminum is more durable than carbon fiber. It bends occasionally, but it rarely breaks. Although carbon fiber can be more easily broken, it is extremely lightweight.
Plastic, rubber, cork or foam are the most common grip materials for poles. Plastic and rubber are less chafing-friendly than cork and foam.
Should I Use One Or Two Trekking Poles?
It is up to you whether you choose one trekking pole or two. If they wish to reduce the amount of weight that they carry, some explorers will only use one trekking pole. However, two trekking poles will provide you with better support than one.
Our website is constantly updated so that the information you read becomes the latest one. Please visit our website or subscribe to our newsletter list more than normal to catch up with the new best collapsible hiking pole of -year.
Please feel free to contact us whenever you need support. You’re welcome to get in touch with us!
About Hailey Abbott
Hailey Abbott is an outdoor enthusiast and freelance writer for CampfireUSA. She has a passion for hunting and fishing, which she often enjoys with her family and friends. Hailey also enjoys staying active through sports such as golf, basketball, and softball.Hailey has worked as an editor for several years, providing content that is both accurate and engaging. She has also had the opportunity to interview numerous experts in various fields. This wealth of experience gives her a unique perspective when writing about the outdoors and other topics.
Read the latest from Hailey Abbott